Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Reincarnate that fav purse!


Hello beautiful hearts!

Two weeks back, I realized my favorite wallet needed to be bid goodbye...
Perhaps I have been tagging it along too much with my shopping fetish recently...

All of its other parts, the zip, the lock the inner lining seemed good, but it was its skin that showed all signs of old age :(
Then I though why not give it an age defying act? So I got my paint supplies and started to draft a design I would want on it.

This was my chance of playing a designer....hmmm...this very thought took me time to look for designs.
Then it occurred that the design cannot be anything i want, rather it should be something i can use.

So how did I go
                                    from


                                     to

                                    ????



You will need-

  1. A worn out old wallet or purse.
  2. Acrylic colors.
  3. paintbrush size 4 and 1 and a flat brush.
  4. an old toothbrush or soft grit paper (maybe size 800)
  5. clear varnish(available at a hardware store)
  6. water
  7. bowl
  8. masking tape


What to do-

Rub the outer surface with a grit paper (sand paper) to make it clean, level and little rough. This will make it easier to paint. Brush it with a toothbrush and then clean with a soft damp cloth.

Tape a masking tape on surface where you do not want to paint like zips, metal.
Taping is a good way when you want to do a color block design where you tape one part and paint the remaining, then later with contrast color you paint the part that was taped.

If your purse is a leather or rexine one, then you can use shoe polish to give the first coat.
Let it dry completely before proceeding.
I would suggest you use specific colors available depending n the fabric of the purse, like leather paint for leather fabric etc. This purse was made of some felt type material and so I used acrylic colors.
I have used fevicryl acrylic colors, and acrylic colors work great on most surfaces.

Chose a color you would like to be the background(base color),
Mix it in the ratio 1:1 with water.
Here I chose a Blue shade to give a denim effect.

Using a flat brush paint the entire outer surface of the purse.
Let it dry.
The water in the color will be absorbed by the fabric.

Apply a second coat. Its a good idea to keep bending your purse in between coats to minimize the color cracking.
You will have to apply more coats depending on how the color is absorbed in the material.
Finally apply the solid paint directly.

Now you can paint more designs on it as your wish.

Once it dries, apply a coat of clear warnish. This will secure the paint.

And voila,
   Your purse is reincarnated....



Back

Front








0 comments:

Post a Comment